Racist attack against a Kurdish cultural center in Paris.


This Friday, William M, a 69-year-old Frenchman attacked the Kurdish Cultural Center of Ahmet Kaya and a hairdressing salon in the 10th district area of Paris, killing at least 3 people and injuring 3 others. Among the dead, Emine Kara, head of the Kurdish Women’s Movement in France, arrived in France a year ago. She had been a member of the PKK organization for more than 30 years and fought in the ranks of the organization in Iraq and in Syria.  Also killed were Mir Perwer, a Kurdish singer artist and Abdullah Kizil, a member of the Kurdish association.

The suspect, a 69-year-old retired train driver, was already known to justice officials for two attempted homicides. In front of a policeman, he claimed to be “racist”. The investigations have for the time being been entrusted to the 2nd district of the judicial police and to the criminal brigade. “The national anti-terrorist prosecutor’s office has not taken action for the moment,” said the prosecutor. “The racist motive of the facts will be part of the investigations which have just begun with large numbers of the regional directorate of the judicial police”, added the magistrate.

“He obviously acted alone” and “obviously wanted to attack foreigners” added Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin.

Despite these declarations, the Kurds affected by this attack accuse Turkey and more particularly Turkish President Erdogan of having ordered this attack. The president of the Kurdish association “Agit Polat” called on the French intelligence services not to cooperate with Turkey and to shed “light” on the origin of this attack.

Slogans “Erdogan assassin” or “we are all PKK” were heard during demonstrations this Saturday as Protests turned into a “war” between protesters and French police. At least 31 police officers were injured and 11 people were arrested. Dozens of civilian vehicles and stores were burned and ransacked by protesters. In addition, other demonstrations took place in the country in Marseille, and in Montpellier, where Turkish traders were directly targeted by armed fire.

This Saturday, William M.’s police custody was lifted on December 24. The alleged shooter was able to be examined by a doctor who revealed to the authorities that his condition was not compatible with police custody. He was transferred to the psychiatric infirmary of the police headquarters. The police headquarters indicated that the police custody measure has therefore been lifted pending his presentation before an examining magistrate when his state of health allows it. It indicates that “the addition of this circumstance does not modify the maximum penalty incurred, which remains life imprisonment”.

Donate to OGN